he Humboldt County Board of Education is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in education. Humboldt County Office of Education programs, activities, and practices shall be free from discrimination based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or genetic information; the perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
Annually, the Superintendent or designee shall review Office of Education programs and activities to ensure the removal of any barrier that may unlawfully prevent an individual or group in any of the protected categories stated above from accessing programs and activities, including the use of facilities. Prompt, reasonable actions shall be taken to remove any identified barrier.
Pursuant to 34 CFR 104.8 and 34 CFR 106.9, the Superintendent or designee shall notify students, parents/guardians, employees, employee organizations, applicants for admission and employment, and sources of referral for applicants about the Office of Education’s policy on nondiscrimination and related complaint procedures. Such notification shall be included in each announcement, bulletin, catalog, application form, or other recruitment materials distributed to these groups.
The Office of Education’s nondiscrimination policy and related informational materials shall be published in a format that parents/guardians can understand and, when required by law, in a language other than English.
Access for Individuals with Disabilities
Office of Education programs and facilities, viewed in their entirety, shall be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and any implementing standards and/or regulations.
The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that the Office of Education provides auxiliary aids and services when necessary to afford individuals with disabilities equal opportunity to participate in or enjoy the benefits of a service, program, or activity. These aids and services may include, but are not limited to, qualified interpreters or readers, assistive listening devices, notetakers, written materials, taped text, and Braille or large print materials.
Individuals with disabilities shall notify the Superintendent or principal if they have a disability that requires special assistance or services. Reasonable notification should be given prior to the school-sponsored function, program, or meeting.
- 200-262.4 Prohibition of discrimination
- 48985 Notices to parents in language other than English
- 51007 Legislative intent: state policy
- 11000 Definitions
- 11135 Nondiscrimination in programs or activities funded by state
- 11138 Rules and regulations
- 12900-12996 Fair Employment and Housing Act
- 54953.2 Brown Act compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act
- 422.55 Definition of hate crime
- 422.6 Interference with constitutional right or privilege
CODE OF REGULATIONS, TITLE 5
- 4600-4687 Uniform complaint procedures
- 4900-4965 Nondiscrimination in elementary and secondary education programs
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 20
- 1400-1482 Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act
- 1681-1688 Discrimination based on sex or blindness, Title IX
- 2301-2415 Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Applied Technology Act
- 6311 State plans
- 6312 Local education agency plans
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 29
- 794 Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
UNITED STATES CODE, TITLE 42
- 2000d-2000d-7 Title VI, Civil Rights Act of 1964
- 2000e-2000e-17 Title VII, Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended
- 2000h-2000h-6 Title IX
- 12101-12213 Americans with Disabilities Act
CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, TITLE 28
- 35.101-35.190 Americans with Disabilities Act
- 36.303 Auxiliary aids and services
CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, TITLE 34
- 100.1-100.13 Nondiscrimination in federal programs, effectuating Title VI
- 104.1-104.39 Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- 106.1-106.61 Discrimination on the basis of sex, effectuating Title IX, especially:
- 106.9 Dissemination of policy